Issue upgrading agent to new build (90143)

Issue upgrading agent to new build (90143)

I have already logged this with support and it's in progress, but I want to get this out here in case anyone else gets a similar issue.

Due to a fix in a new build I needed, I was given build 90143 to install. This was an upgrade from 90132 and upgraded fine, as it always does.

However, there seemed to be an issue automatically upgrading the agent as one hour after the new build was online only 74 PCs/Servers had updated the agent to the latest build. Normally on a new build within 1 hour over 1,000 would have updated automatically. We have 4500+ in total so I know that in 2-3 hours over 3,000 are done without incident.

I decided to update some manually. Since deploying from the SoM page shows that it will uninstall the old agent and install the new one if it already exists i thought this was a good quick way to get it upgraded. tested a few servers it came back with "Agent needs to be upgraded. Uninstall the Desktop Central Agent and install again."

OK no big deal, so I removed the agent and installed it on a few. They are then up and running on the new build with no issue. So far so good I think.

So I uninstall the agent from all my servers. Then install to them 100 at a time. (I have 400 or so servers).

Then my problems start - it would seem that installing the agent uses a .msi as you'd expect but what it doesn't tell you is if the server was pending a reboot, it just reboots it, even though suppress reboot is in the installer/uninstaller commands.There will be servers pending a reboot as we often patch without reboot and then reboot later manually so we can patch when we like and reboot out of hours. There are servers which run apps on their consoles etc with service accounts - this is how we have to operate.

I'm not quite so popular here now as our main Windows host which runs all our SAN shares was rebooted so all our production volumes went offline! Complete nightmare.

Now I still have 114 servers with no DTC agent installed as I'm scared to install it.

I also have 3894 workstations all showing as down as they are all running the old build of the agent and failed to upgrade and are not in contact with the DTC server.

I can see that 90 of those workstations show "Requires Reboot" in the Patch Mgmt module so I can't update the agent on them manually as I will get crucified if I just randomly reboot 90 user PCs.

There appears to be a checksum error in the .msi / upgrade process for the agent which I have supplied logs to support and I'm currently awaiting a remote session.

Regards,

Dean
                New to ADManager Plus?

New to ADSelfService Plus?